Sunday 19 February 2017

Pure Essence 2017 - Review

At the beginning of the year we all pondered over new years resolutions and how best to get over all the festive eating and drinking. We begrudgingly got back into the swing of our routines and the daily grind, we struggled through cold snaps and collectively sighed at the daily news stories. So, to help start the year afresh, Yankee Candle released a new collection of cleansing, spa-like fragrances, to give us a much needed boost and leave us feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.




The collection is called Pure Essence. It will sound familiar because it's the third instalment from the Pure Essence range. This set brings us Wild Mint, Cherry Blossom and Linden Tree. Other Pure Essence fragrances from previous years include Shea Butter, Aloe Water, Cassis and Vanilla, White Tea and Verbena.

So, what do they smell like? Let's go through them one by one...

@Yankeefandle twitter poll - 'fave smell'
One of Yankee Candle's key selling points is their 'true to life fragrance' and Wild Mint is probably the best example of that.

I couldn't believe how natural and fresh this one smells, it's as if you've just picked it from the garden.

I must admit that Wild Mint is my least favourite of the set. The reason being it's so true to life that I can't get past the earthy notes of the fragrance. Infact, a friend actually described it as a "dirty kind of scent". But the @Yankeefandle twitter poll had Wild Mint as the runaway winner with 68% of the vote.

If you are familiar with Yankee's Fresh Mint candle, then you're probably wondering what the difference is? Both are super minty and true to life, wild mint is earthier and deeper, fresh mint is soothing, a bit lighter and with some sweetness to it.


Linden Tree is a lovely floral scent that reminds me of a face cream I've smelt in the past. It's a bit like walking into a florists, pretty scents with that petal/greenery smell, if that makes sense.

I think it's fresh and uplifting, but not everyone I know agrees. In fact, fandle #2 described it as an old lady smell, like an Avon soap.


Yankee Candle list the top notes as hosta leaves and linden blossom, the middle note as viburnum and base notes of musk and cedarwood. I've earmarked Linden Tree as a morning scent, to burn on a sunny spring day.

And then there's Cherry Blossom... Wow! It's so good. I'm sat here typing away with it burning in wax melt format. It's been on the go for a couple of hours and it's spread around the whole house. Sometimes my nose goes blind to scents quite quickly but this is packing a punch, great if you like strong scents. But thankfully it's not overpowering, just so pretty and sweet.

Cherry Blossom is actually a retired fragrance that's been updated and brought back (thankfully).
Even though Cherry Blossom is a floral scent, the first note to hit you is cherry, and it's a very sweet cherry. Anyone who has read my posts in the past will know I am a huge cherry fan so you won't be surprised that I've fallen in love with this one.

Yes it's full of sweetness but I think it's the most complex fragrance of the three. The concoction of floral notes balances the sweet cherry - making it much less heady than other cherry offerings. Yankee list the top note as cherry with mid notes of rose, cherry blossom and jasmine. The base notes are powdery musk and sandalwood.

I can't recommend this one enough. It's sweet, it's fresh, it's layered and it's powerful. I'll definitely be stocking up to keep me going through spring and summer.

This collection definitely has a nice bit of variety, something for fresh, floral and fruity fans.

The fragrances are available in all standard wax formats at many reatilers online and on the highstreet. QVC have lots of different sets on their website which vary from large jars to tealights and new accessories which you can check out by clicking HERE. Clintons are stocking exclusive gift sets which you can find on their website HERE.

Follow me on Twitter: @YankeeFandle and Instagram: YankeeFandle

Disclaimer: I do not work for Yankee Candle or QVC. I am a Yankee Fandle who enjoys sharing my thoughts on each fragrance and also photos of my collection that I have taken myself. These opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment