Tuesday 5 July 2016

New look. Same us.

"New look. Same us. Refined, refreshed yet still the same great quality & fragrance you love"


Today the Yankee Candle USA twitter account tweeted a small tweet, but with a big message. Yankee Candle has changed. Not their fragrance, not their quality, not even their prices, but their signature label and logo. Gone is the classic landscape image and serif font, instead, a chic, sleek and contemporary portrait label has replaced it with a modern font and new logo.

There has been months of debate and discussion over this within many fandle groups after whispers turned to rumours and rumours turned to gossip. It has actually caused quite the stir with fandles expressing every emotion imaginable from delight to anger. But why has this caused such a stir? Many of you may be thinking "but I buy Yankee Candles for their gorgeous scent and longevity, what does it matter?" Well, for lots of avid collectors, the change brings with it, well, exactly that. change.

For many fandles who have a large collection of Yankees, or even a treasure wall, the change will have a huge impact on their displays, myself included. Whether you've a collection of 20, 200 or 500+ (yes many collectors have hit these heights) how do you integrate the new design - and do you at all?

The update applies to all Yankee products in the USA, not just large jar labels. You can see how well the label design works for the longer reed diffuser products but on the jars is quite a big step away from the square labels and we've now got a smaller visual of the scent.

I've seen on many sites news that Yankee Candle Europe have no immediate plans to alter their labels, but the new design will quite possibly creep onto special appearances and other limited editions.

Personally, I quite like the new labels, I think they could take Yankee Candles to a new audience, and the chic look really freshens up the brand and brought it scent first into a generation where style is everything. I'll be honest and admit that I do agree with those who have a large collection, I don't want my display to change, but I just think we all need to remember, this is not the first time Yankee have changed their labels (black band anyone?) the changes along Yankee's impressive lifespan have made it into the brand it is today. I'd also point out that we're a house divided, one for the new labels and one very much against (for now) - I wouldn't be surprised if it's something fandles will disagree over for quite some time.

Refined and refreshed, Yankee Candle are entering into a new era, and I will be grabbing my wick trimmer in excitement, and illuma-lid with anticipation until I see my first new label.


What do you think to the new labels? Let me know in the comments box below.

Twitter: @YankeeFandle Instagram: YankeeFandle

No comments:

Post a Comment